Thursday, June 30, 2011

Treasure Chest Thursday - The Marie Brennar Letters

As a genealogist, I cannot jump to conclusions.  I need follow the process of gathering bits and pieces of facts and, if I’m lucky, family memorabilia, that I can use that will help put flesh to the bones of my ancestors. 

So here are the facts: 
The registered birth record listed a child born on Gray’s Inn Lane in Pancras, in the county of Middlesex, England on the 29th of August 1879.  The child, was listed as Alexander Ernest Hope, his mother, Marie Brennar, but the name and occupation of the father was blank.

And, here is the family memorabilia: 
There are eleven letters that have been handed down from one generation to the next that tell a small piece of a story.  These letters contain Marie’s correspondence with William and Hannah Ward of Nottingham to adopt her child. 

I will be posting and transcribing these letters over the course of the next few days.  Light gray text indicates that I'm not sure what the word is and I'm open for suggestions.

Maria Brennar letter dated 4 Dec 1879

59 Market Place
Leicester
4/12/79 
My Dear
   Mrs Ward
I trust you got the letter I sent you last Week   Kindly send me an answer soon as I will not be at this address after Tuesday first 9th   Dont think me trouble
love
            Sincerely Yours
            M Brennar
©2011 – Frank’s Daughter All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment